Intro to Sprint Paddling is a two-week introduction to competitive Sprint Canoe-Kayak for athletes aged 8 to 13 (U14), born between 2007 and 2011.
Throughout the camp the paddlers will progress through all the basic skills of sprint paddling. Paddlers will learn about water safety rules for sprint boats, how to balance, paddle, and train in sprint kayaks and canoes. Participants will learn competition skills and rules for sprint canoe kayak, and will participate in on and off water training sessions. Fun regattas for participants are planned every 2nd week, time permitting.
To reinforce safe paddling skills, all participants are required to wear life-jackets or PFDs any time they are on the water. All of NBCC’s paddling programs are led by friendly, dependable, knowledgeable and certified coaches.
Enthusiastic paddlers will be encouraged to move on to the sprint racing program. Camp fees will be credited toward the Sprint racing program fee should a child decide to move on to the spring racing program.
Schedule and Fees
- Session 1: July 2 – July 5 (4 days) $160 (Includes all insurance fees and taxes)
- Session 2: July 8 – July 12 $200 (includes all insurance fees and taxes)
- Session 3: July 15 – July 19 $160 (Includes all insurance fees and taxes)
- Session 4: July 22 – July 26 $200 (includes all insurance fees and taxes)
- Session 5: July 29 – Aug 2 (4 days) $160 (Includes all insurance fees and taxes)
- Session 6: Aug 5 – Aug 9 $200 (includes all insurance fees and taxes)
- Session 7: Aug 12 – Aug 16 $200 (Includes all insurance fees and taxes)
- Session 8: Aug 19 – Aug 23 $200 (includes all insurance fees and taxes)
Provided by NBCC:
- Canoes and Kayaks
- Personal Flotation Devices (mandatory)
- Certified Instructors with First Aid Training
- Safety Boats
- Food, drinks and snacks available for purchase at NBCC Snack Bar
- Full –day supervision Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 4:30pm (Drop-off from 8:30am, pick-up before 5:00pm)
Things to Bring
As the kids will be spending most of their days on the beach and on the lake, they should be prepared for all types of weather. Here are a few things we recommend they bring with them daily:
- Healthy Lunch & Snacks (Microwave available)
- Water and Sport Beverages
- Shorts & T-shirt (and a change of clothes)
- Swim Suit
- Hat & Sunglasses
- Warm clothes (sweater, pants)
- Rain gear
- Personal Flotation Device (if you prefer to use your own)
Please refrain from bringing valuables.