This program is a weekly, full-day introduction to competitive sprint racing for athletes aged 8 to 13. Paddlers will learn about how to balance, paddle, and train in sprint kayaks and canoes. Participants will learn sprint canoe/kayak competition skills and rules while participating in daily training sessions. Each one-week camp will end with a fun local regatta on Friday afternoon. Enthusiastic paddlers will be encouraged to move on to the Sprint Racing program for the remainder of the summer and all camp fees will be deducted from the Sprint Racing fee.
To reinforce safe paddling skills, all participants are required to wear life-jackets or PFDs any time they are on the water. All of NBCC’s paddling programs are led by friendly, knowledgeable coaches with First Aid certification.
Program Hours: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm,
. Monday to Friday excluding Holidays
Supervised early drop off from: 8:00am
Supervised late pick up until: 5:00pm
Ages: 8 to 13 years old as of January 1, 2020
Fee: $200.00 per week
. $160.00 per 4-day Holiday week.
Things to Bring:
NBCC will provide all the necessary paddling equipment including Life Jackets but campers are welcome to bring their own Life jacket. Most days will be spent on the beach and on the lake so children should be prepared for all types of weather. Here are a few things we recommend they bring with them daily:
- Shorts, T-shirt and at least one change of clothes. Clothing should be comfortable, loose fitting and preferably made of quick drying fabric (they do get wet!)
- Swim suit & towel
- Running shoes for dryland games
- Hat, sunscreen & insect repellent
- Lunch, snacks & water bottles (NBCC also operates a Snack Bar every weekday from 11:00 to 1:00 with a variety of affordable lunch options, drinks and snacks)
- Warm clothes and rain gear for cold, wet days
Children must be independent in their ability to apply sunscreen / insect repellent, change clothes and washroom personal hygiene. There are regular time-outs to hydrate and apply sunscreen, but children need to be able to apply their own